Sunday, January 4, 2009

Gathering


My sister told me that in Britain when someone passes on, they say they are "gathered." I like this term much better than our "passed away." So i have been considering what it really means to be gathered. I imagine that those who left their mortal bodies before us are waiting on the other side of the veil to "gather" us as we make that journey to the spirit world. This gives me great comfort as I think about my Father being gathered by his Mother and Father, 2 brothers and 1 sister, as well as many good friends and relatives that were so excited to receive him. Someone told me today that funerals are wonderful reunions on both sides of the veil, I love this thought.

It was so good to be with my WHOLE family this week. We laughed, we cried, we ate and talked. I am so grateful for the timing of my Father's gathering. I know that may sound weird, but it is true for a couple of reasons. The first being that Christmas is naturally a season full of love and giving and the spirit of Christ is so abundant. The second is, because it was the holidays, everyone had time off and could make arrangements to be here. It was amazing to see all those who are so dear to me in one place at the same time---I can't remember the last time that happened. It gave me a small glimpse of what my Dad must be experiencing on the other side---it has been 70 long years since he had seen his baby sister.

My heart is full and I wanted to share the love I am feeling with all of you. I know I am not very good at the blogging thing, but I hope to be better and write more. Zoe mentioned to me last night that she never heard so many stories about Grandpa, and she asked me why I never tell stories about him. It made me realize that I have been remiss and I need to be better about keeping memories alive. So in light of that fact I will share a story about Grandpa and myself.

When I was 16 years old, my Mother had just received her dream car as a present from my Dad for Mother's Day. It was a shiny new Mercedes Benz. Well, about a month after she got said dream car--- I decided to go joy riding in it and ended upside down in it on the side of "dead man's curve" as I later found out it was called. It was named this for a reason---many people had taken said curve and lost their lives. While I obviously had not lost my life, I was deathly afraid I was about to when I called my Dad to tell him what had happened!! I was given a ride home by the person (I don't even remember who) who's phone I used to call my Dad. All that way I just kept repeating he's gonna kill me! I got home and he and my Mom just hugged me and told me how glad they were that I was alive. Then we drove back to the scene of the accident and my Dad talked to the police and the poor car had to be towed. It was totaled but I was not! The only thing I felt from Dad was love. The next day when I woke up I walked outside to take a look at the damaged car---words can not describe the feelings I had---I couldn't believe I literally walked away from that car. Then my Dad came outside and handed me his keys and said "go to the store for your Mom, she needs some milk." Of course I was like, "you're kidding right? I am never driving again!" But he said "it's just like falling off a horse, you just gotta get right back on." That simple act of total trust and kindness towards me gave me the confidence to do many things in my life. Especially when Zoe got in her very first fender bender! I recalled how my Father treated me and I tried to do the same for my daughter.

A huge thank you to all those who made my life easier this week either by listening or helping me in some way, your service has not gone unnoticed or unapreciated. I love you all.

3 comments:

queenbee4 said...

That was great... thanks for sharing that.

?? said...

i tag you. you now must list 7 random thoughts about yourself.

Lynn said...

Ok Zoe it is done!