"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference" - Robert Frost
Sunday, October 10, 2010
"It's Kind of a Funny Story"...
I loved this movie! I have been thinking about it ever since I saw it on Friday... the message was about discovering your true self...who ever that is. Not someone else's idea or expectation of who you "should/shouldn't" be. Life is short so just LIVE!!
Lately I have been reading a book that has brought back to my attention the destructive nature of "PERFECTIONISM." This notion is not new to me, I have always known on some instinctual level that perfectionism is NOT healthy. So I saw this movie and it sort of clicked in a way that had not before. Then I came across this quote:
"YOU ARE PERFECT... A flower is simple
its message is true;
The earth is happy,
there are people like you~
just as you are!
Wow, the pressure To be all that you can be, to achieve all that you can achieve, and to help all that you can help! But here's the truth: You can't possibly be any more than you now are. you are perfect; "it" is done; the plan is unfolding..." (Mike Dooley, Choose them Wisely)
Since I have been on this earth and learning about myself in relation to the world around me, one message has been very clear..."you can always be better!!" So my question is... when is it ever GOOD ENOUGH??? And who gets to decide???
We set these impossible standards and expectations for ourselves, and those around us, in an attempt to prove to everyone how splendid we are...WHO is really watching??? or JUDGING??? Then, when we don't reach the impossible, we tell ourselves it's because we aren't good enough, or strong enough, or whatever enough...a vicious cycle that breeds low self esteem/worth, depression, anxiety and a host of other disorders, begins and then we are like hamsters on our spinning wheels forever running but getting NOWHERE...
IT IS ENOUGH!! I AM ENOUGH!! WE ARE ALL ENOUGH!!
Life is a beautiful symphony...with all of its joys and sorrows, ups and downs...we each add to the music in different ways, making it a far richer experience... I just want to enjoy it, and live in a way that honors who I am...I am NOT perfect, I don't want to be...I want to be authentic. True to myself, good to myself and others, and becoming the woman I am meant to be...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment