
May 28, 2008
Hello Everyone!! I hope you all are well and good! We had a day full of lectures today so I am going to tell you about yesterday since I was to tired to post last night.
We went to visit the Sanlin Expo Community Center. This is a community of people that the government has relocated and designed an "ideal community" for them to live. It used to be a rural area with about 50,000 people now it is a fully functioning town with around 400,000 people. They have built this up and created this community center for the World Expo that will take place in Shanghai in 2010. Their slogan is "Better City, Better Life".
Anyways, we toured all throughout the center and they had several levels and all kinds of cultural activities for all age groups, and handicrafts, and ping pong (which is really big over here), and on and on. But my favorite room was the Kindergarten room. They put on a special performance for us. They did a dance and then they sang us a song of thanks about all the American's help for the earthquake disaster, it was extremely touching and then they gave us all carnations, and big hugs! I was quite taken with these kids and I couldn't help but bawl. Then we got to do an activity with them that was sort of like the bunny hop!! So much fun!! I got some excellent video but I don't know how I can post it to this site.
Anyway I have decided to put together a DVD with all my video and pictures when I get home then you all can come over and I can explain in more detail all my adventures.
Tomorrow we are going to visit an orphanage and I am both nervous and excited. I am excited to be able to be there with the babies, but nervous that I will not be able to handle it emotionally. I will let you all know how that goes.
Well this is it for now, love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment